Sunday, January 25, 2015

Phitsanulok By Any Means Neccessary

Today started out stressful.

Last night I went to the cafe outside my guesthouse and ended up sitting with a group of a few other backpackers which was nice. This morning I woke up around eight, had breakfast, then set out to Phitsanulok. 
I had read multiple stories online saying that Thailand was one of the easiest places in the world to hitchhike so I decided to give it a try. It's not common here but if you're able to properly explain what you're doing to drivers, apparently you can get rides. I left my hostel and walked for a bit to a busy road that I thought was near the highway. I stood out there for about ten minutes before someone stopped. A couple pulled over and I handed them the note I had the guy at my guesthouse write in Thai explaining what I was doing and where I was going. 

My hitchhiking note. My Couchsurfing host later confirmed that it was translated well and should have properly explained what I was doing.

In the end, I decided to take the train. I took a tuk-tuk to the train station and the driver claimed he didn't have correct change so I was scammed out of ten baht (only thirty cents but still irritating). Had I been successful hitching, I could have gotten there in four or five hours but the train was an excruciating seven hours. Third class seats aren't as nice when you're there for seven hours instead of two.

I had written someone on Couchsurfing yesterday about getting a place to stay in Phitsanulok so after getting a bite to eat at a street vendor, I tried to find wifi. I ended up in a gadget store and used their wifi. Luckily for me, I had heard back from the Couchsurfing folks and they said yes! They included directions and while I got hopelessly lost trying to get there, I eventually made it.


My hosts are Mark, his wife Mint, and their their daughter Me-ah. They have a small English school in Phitsanulok and host couchsurfers frequently. They have another guest staying in the extra room so I'm sleeping in the classroom. Mark, the other guest, and I went out this evening for a walk to the most famous temple in Phitsanulok where there is currently a large festival going on. We went into the temple then went through the aisles of food stands and carnival games.


I had a rough start today but am feeling better because of the the friendliness of Mark and his family. I had written him about staying for one night but he has told me that I can stay longer if I want to. Tomorrow I'm going to explore Phitsanulok then decide what to do next. I told Mark my hitchhiking story and he said that he had hitched in Thailand before with ease and thought my experience was odd. If I decide to leave tomorrow, I may hitchhike to Sukhothai, which is only an hour away. If I decide to stay another night, Mark likes to have his guests participate in this classes by having the students interview the guest, which could be fun. There's also an unfinished mural in the classroom which upon learning that I liked art, Mark invited me to finish if I wanted.
Hurrah for Couchsurfing!


The Buddha statue behind me is said to be the most beautiful Buddha statue in all of Thailand.





No comments:

Post a Comment