Friday, March 6, 2015

A Slow Day in Tokyo

Yesterday I met up with Oona between her classes. On the way to her school, we stopped at 7-11 to get onigiri (rice balls) for lunch. Then we went to her school and hung out in the art studio for a while. Oona had to go to class so I just loitered in the studio for an hour or so until she was done. After that, we went to a coffee shop for and hung out for a while. We parted ways and I took the train back to my hostel.

Oona is busy today so I'm on my own. It's rather cold and a bit rainy in Tokyo and those are two thing I've gone a month without encountering so today is turning into another slow day for me. I slept in this morning then went and bought a rice ball for breakfast. Then I went back to my hostel to eat it and try to figure out what to do for the day.

I wanted to get ramen for lunch so I asked the guy at the hostel desk for a recommendation. He gave me directions to a ramen shop near the hostel and I was able to find it easily. The shop had a machine where you order and pay for your food and it spits out a ticket to give to the chef but it was all in Japanese. Luckily, the chef was able to come over and help me operate the machine.



I handed the chef the ticket and a couple minutes later, he placed bowl of ramen in front of me. The noodles were chewy and the broth was so rich it was like eating melted butter. It was delicious.


After eating, I decided to try to find a warm hat. I had one but I think I lost it somewhere in Thailand. I went to 7-11 since you can buy pretty much anything there. They had prepackaged socks, dress shirts, and neckties for sale but it appeared they were out of hats. The search continues.

Forgot your shirt at home?

Right now I'm back at my hostel resting. I'm going to try to figure out something to do tonight. Tomorrow I will probably meet up with Oona again.

No comments:

Post a Comment